How time flies! The new Tea Bar website.
Wow. It was last fall that I went to work on the new website for our tea bar, and just last month that I took it live. We have the kinks all worked out now, and everything’s ready to go. Thank you all for your patience.
It seems like interruptions just kept pulling me away from the design, and at one point I scrapped the user interface and rebuilt it from scratch (although the database code has been stable for many months). We dumped the PayPal shopping cart that we were using and switched over to Google’s cart instead for a number of reasons.
Generally speaking, I do my designs in HTML/CSS/PHP/SQL on my Mac, testing as I go in Firefox, Chrome, and Safari browsers. I don’t worry much about minor little differences in behavior, as long as everything looks good and works properly. Most of the time, the site looks (and works) exactly the same on all three browsers. Once I’m happy with it, I do an extended test. Again, for the most part, if it worked on those three platforms, it will work just dandy in Opera and on the Windows versions of Firefox and Chrome.
Then I would load the site up in Internet Explorer and watch everything break. It’s an infuriating situation. Get it all perfect, and then spend days working on the browser that just can’t follow industry standards. *sigh*
I’m still working on the website — I’m sure it will remain a work in progress — so if you see any problems or you want to order a tea that isn’t on the site, please give us a call or use the contact form.